By Jing Yu
Water and moisture undermine powerful adhesion to polar surfaces. Marine mussels, even though, in attaining sturdy underwater adhesion utilizing a set of proteins which are abnormal in having excessive degrees of three, 4-dihydroxyphenylalanine (Dopa). Mussel adhesion has encouraged a variety of reviews on constructing the subsequent new release of rainy adhesives. This thesis provides contemporary development in realizing the fundamental floor and intermolecular interactions hired by way of mussels to accomplish robust and sturdy rainy adhesion. the skin forces equipment (SFA) and numerous different strategies have been utilized to degree the interactions among mussel foot protein-3 fast (Mfp-3 fast) and the version substrate, mica, in addition to the interactions among a variety of mussel adhesive proteins. the consequences during this thesis express that Dopa performs an important function in mussel adhesion and that mussels delicately regulate the interfacial redox setting to accomplish powerful and sturdy Dopa mediated adhesion. The interaction among Dopa and hydrophobic interactions is additionally glaring in mussel adhesion.
Read or Download Adhesive Interactions of Mussel Foot Proteins PDF
Similar family & general practice books
''Adding themes important to scientific statisticians, this re-creation of a well-liked intermediate-level reference explores using SAS for examining scientific info. a brand new bankruptcy on visualizing information incorporates a designated account of photographs for investigating facts and smoothing strategies. The booklet additionally comprises new chapters on dimension in medication, epidemiology/observational reviews, meta-analysis, Bayesian tools, and dealing with lacking information.
Biosensors and Bioelectronics offers the swiftly evolving methodologies which are proper to biosensors and bioelectronics fabrication and characterization. The publication presents a accomplished knowing of biosensor performance, and is an interdisciplinary reference that features a diversity of interwoven contributing matters, together with electrochemistry, nanoparticles, and accomplishing polymers.
This publication covers the cutting-edge examine on molecular biology assays and molecular recommendations enabled or more suitable by means of microfluidic systems. issues coated contain microfluidic tools for mobile separations and unmarried cellphone stories, droplet-based ways to check protein expression and forensics, and microfluidic in situ hybridization for RNA research.
Constructed via the interior medication residency instructing employees on the college of Colorado, this booklet provides patient-oriented circumstances for 88 ailments in all parts of inner drugs. Case reviews stick with a question-and-answer layout that mirrors rounds displays. every one case research walks you thru the workup and administration of the matter and stories the underlying pathophysiology.
- Surface Engineering of Polymeric Biomaterials
- ABC of health informatics
- Allied Health: Massachusetts
- Chronic Disease Management
Extra resources for Adhesive Interactions of Mussel Foot Proteins
15. 16. 17. 18. 19. 20. 21. 22. 23. 24. Dalsin JL et al (2003) J Am Chem Soc 125(14):4253–4258 Amstad E et al (2009) Nano Lett 9(12):4042–4048 Sever MJ et al (2004) Angew Chem Int Ed 43(4):448–450 Lee H, Scherer NF, Messersmith PB (2006) Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103(35):12999–13003 Anderson TH et al (2010) Adv Funct Mater 20(23):4196–4205 Rzepecki LM, Nagafuchi T, Waite JH (1991) Arch Biochem Biophys 285(1):17–26 Waite JH (1990) Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 97(1):19–29 Liu B, Burdine L, Kodadek T (2006) J Am Chem Soc 128(47):15228–15235 Yu ME, Deming TJ (1998) Macromolecules 31(15):4739–4745 Proudfoot GM, Ritchie IM (1983) Aust J Chem 36(5):885–894 Haemers S et al (2002) Langmuir 18(12):4903–4907 Hook F et al (2001) Anal Chem 73(24):5796–5804 Giese RF, Wu W, van Oss CJ (1998) J Disper Sci Technol 19(6–7):775–783 Santiso EE et al (2007) Appl Surf Sci 253(13):5570–5579 Wu ZH, Sumimoto M, Tanaka H (1995) J Wood Chem Tech 15(1):27–42 Tipikin DS, Lebedev YS, Rieker A (1997) Chem Phys Lett 272(5–6):399–404 Li SC et al (2010) Science 328(5980):882–884 Israelachvili JN (2011) Intermolecular and surface forces, 3rd edn.
4 Adhesion and the Antioxidant Effect of Mfp-6 In situ matrix-assisted laser desorption mass spectrometry of mussel adhesive footprints and induced adhesive secretion detected Mfp-3 and Mfp-6 variants (Fig. 2) [1, 2]. Mfp-6 composition differs from Mfp-3 variants by its low Dopa and high cysteine content . In freshly isolated Mfp-6, of the eleven cysteines known to exist in the protein, two are coupled as a disulfide leaving nine to occur presumably as thiols . 1). With respect to adhesion in the SFA, Mfp-6 adsorbed to one or both mica surfaces exhibits only weak adhesion (Fig.
15 mJ/m2 when the surfaces were in contact for 60 min. (c) Even stronger recovery of adhesion was evident after injecting Mfp-6 at pH 3. 85 mJ/m2 for 60 min contact. (d) Injecting S-carboxymethylated Mfp-6 at pH 3 failed to recover the lost adhesion of Mfp-3 38 4 Antioxidant is a Key Factor in Mussel Protein Adhesion Dopaquinone formed in Mfp-3 (Fig. 1d). 1), and the modified protein was then added to films of oxidized Mfp-3 at pH 3. Carboxymethylated Mfp-6’s ability to rescue the adhesion of Mfp-3 was at best feeble after a short contact (Fig.